Friday, February 28, 2014

A Visit to Beautiful Bi-tan (碧潭) in Xindian (新店)

Today is 2/28, a national holiday in Taiwan. I won't explain it in detail in today's entry, but it's in honor of the thousands of people who were killed by the government under martial law in Taiwan before it became a democracy. If you're interested you can read more here.

Since it's a holiday, the Taiwanese family I'm working with decided to go on a picnic to Bi-tan ("The Jade-green Pool"), a famous beauty spot in Xindian. At least famous enough that it's in all my Chinese software dictionaries and comes up as a suggestion when I begin to type it on both my computer and my phone, which seems reasonably famous to me...

I had never been before, and accepted their invitation to join them. And I'm glad I did! Now I know a relaxing spot for a day trip on the very south end of the Taipei Metro, like Danshui is at the north end.

Both Danshui and Bitan are more or less riverside walks, but Bitan is relaxing and the focus is on nature, while Danshui is more lively and has lots of food, although Bitan has a little food and Danshui has some scenery, so both places are great. Choose depending on what you're feeling more like that day. 

You get to Bitan from the Xindian (end of the line) station of the MRT, basically come out of the station and it's pretty obvious which direction to go. There are buses that go there as well, and you can rent a city bike in the vicinity with your transit card.

I took lots of pics, here are a few from throughout the day...


"Bi-Qiao," the Bi-tan bridge. (Characters read right to left, the old way)

Crossing the bridge. As a foot/suspension bridge, it moves around like the deck of a ship.

There was an event going on since it's a holiday, but I don't think it had anything to do with the holiday itself.
(My friends said it was a government-sponsored organization that did anti-drug events or something to that effect)

Looking north. Paddle boats are the thing to do here, it would seem.

The spot's name comes from the deep green color of the water here. It's apparently also nicknamed "Little Red Cliff" because it looks a little like a famous spot in China. (If you've seen the Battle of Red Cliff, it's that place)


Knife massage, anyone?

Some of our picnic snacks.

The sun was going in and out of the clouds.

A peaceful day. Except the event over there was blaring loud music.

I like this one.

"People hill, people river." (A little less than "人山人海")

Restaurants along the river front.

A white egret (center left) flies over the emerald water.

A little colony of white egrets.

Lots of people were out walking, bicycling, etc.

Sun comes out, and an eagle soars overhead.

For a small fee, a boatman will take you across. I'll check it out next time.

On a street full of old businesses. This shop has been operating for 100 years.
It's a noodle turtle! I am informed these are getting rare.

A snack-turtle designed to be offered in a temple. The character on the turtles' backs represents longevity.

There's a mini-night market here as well.

Find more than a dozen people in one place on the street in Taiwan, and there will be people selling food there.

Heading back to our bus stop.

It was a peaceful place, and we only saw part of it. There are also hiking trails up into the mountains. I'll definitely be coming back here, hopefully I can get a real camera and get some better shots of the eagles and white egrets too...

No comments:

Post a Comment