Thursday, January 16, 2014

From a Hilltop Seminary to the Taipei 101 Building

Note: I've decided to stop putting "bonus picture post" in the title of these pictures posts because there will probably be a lot of them. And they're not really "extra" now that I'm in Taiwan and generating new content instead of occasionally drawing from archived photos. I'll keep using the bonus picture post label, though, so everyone can find the other ones easily.

A few days ago I visited Taiwan Baptist Theological Seminary in Taipei for a joint church-planting seminar. Most people there were older pastors of smaller churches, as the larger churches hold their own seminars. I was happily surprised that I could understand well enough to get at least 80% of the points the main speaker was making and follow the stories. He shared a lot of practical advice, mostly about the importance of a vision, and how if you are apathetic regarding how you come across to visitors, they will tend not to stay. It wasn't Tim Keller, but some of it was probably very helpful advice for smaller churches who were already established but struggling.

Is this Jurassic Park? No, better... a theological seminary in Taiwan


Pretty cool chapel
From what I can read of the Chinese, it's basically the same as what's there in English


There was a lot more I didn't feel like poking around to see, being barely awake
I had not slept well the past several days and was very tired, so I opted to leave after the morning session had finished and we'd eaten lunch. The plan was to simply walk back to the 101 building, which I could see from where I was, and take the MRT (metro transit system) back home to rest.

See, it's RIGHT THERE. Should be easy to walk to it from here.

However, I quickly found that all roads did not lead to Rome, as it were. I wasn't lost, but it was turning into one of those "you can't get there from here" moments again.

Found a little "valley" along the way, but my path didn't lie in that direction.. I like to believe this is a hidden urban ninja village, and that old guy was a sentry and would have beat me up if I actually went down the stairs.

After running into a gated off area or two, I did a little cheating with Google Maps to see which road actually led me towards my destination. Turns out it was a bit tricky in that particular spot, and I might have spent half an hour finding the actual road. Which can be really fun, but not when you're half asleep.

As I got closer to downtown, I passed through a market area I'd never been to before. Apparently it's fairly well-known, just not to me until now.

The place is called "Wu Xing Square."
It wasn't square, it was all along this road, but there's probably more to it that I didn't see.

I was basically already downtown at this point, I just needed to cross the metaphorical train tracks.
I did so, and voila:

I rarely come at the 101 from this side. It's nice. *bird chirping sounds*

I usually come at the 101 from -this- side.*road noises*
101 ahead, World Trade Center to the left, Metro down below.

Having finally arrived, now you get a few shots of a (non-rush-hour) metro station. Taipei's metro system is not the biggest or most complicated in the world (although it's being continually expanded), but it has a reputation for being clean and efficient, which is deserved.

They don't all have the floor to ceiling ads.

No eating, drinking, chewing gum, or doing betel nut past this point!
You must also give up your seat for the elderly, pregnant women, or anyone with special needs.

Waiting for my train. Actually this is the opposite side from my train but it had the cool lights in the background. This concludes another little excursion, and I'm heading back home to finally sleep now
(I ended up preparing the most recent prayer update email instead. But -that- night I did get good sleep.)

No comments:

Post a Comment